Candidiasis Treatment: The Yeast Syndrome
There are trillions of bacteria living in our digestive tract, making up the normal microflora. These bacteria generally play a supportive role in the health of the colon by helping to synthesize vitamins, degrade toxins, and produce natural antibiotics. Candida, a yeast-like fungus, also normally inhabits the gut in small amounts. However, if these yeast organisms are allowed to grow unchecked, the harmonious balance between yeast and bacteria is upset, resulting in Intestinal Candidiasis or what has been called the Yeast Syndrome. Not only can this overgrowth cause problems such as vaginal yeast infections and oral thrush, but candida can also release byproducts, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream and may travel to many areas of the body. A variety of symptoms may then occur as the immune system attempts to deal with these foreign molecules. As a result, Intestinal Candidiasis can be an underlying cause of chronic, difficult to diagnose health problems. This is also something that is highly overlooked in most medical practices!
Candidiasis Treatment: A number of factors increase the risk of overgrowth:
- repeated use of antibiotics
- chronic stress
- diet high in simple sugars
- oral contraceptive use
- a weakened immune system
Candidiasis Treatment: Symptoms associated with candida overgrowth:
- General: chronic fatigue or malaise, sweet cravings
- Gastrointestinal system: thrush, bloating, gas, intestinal cramps, rectal itching, alternating diarrhea and constipation
- Genitourinary system: vaginal yeast infections, frequent bladder infections
- Hormonal system: menstrual irregularities, decreased libido
- Nervous system: depression, irritability, trouble concentrating
- Immune system: allergies, chemical sensitivities, lowered resistance to infections
If this sounds like you, we can help! Our practice has developed a protocol designed specifically to starve and kill candida, leaving you feeling like a brand new person inside and out. Schedule time with one of our Modern Medicine providers today to see if our candidiasis protocol is right for you!